Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Algorithm Wants Your SAT Score

So most of you know that I'm on the job hunt. A head hunter I met with today mentioned that she knew a Senior Recruiter at G00gle, who asked her to send her good people, and only good people. "What constitutes 'good people'?" she asked. "Well, let me put it this way, I need to know 3 things about them, and 3 things only: their school (and it better be top, top), their G.P.A., and their SAT score." WTF? I had heard about the G00gle G.P.A. thing, but SAT score?!?! That's ridiculous, no? Anyway, I gave her my specs but couldn't help feeling ridiculous. Usually I am happy to give up my school because I loved going to Cal, a little shy to give up my G.P.A. ('cuz it was good, yo!), but my SAT score? I don't go back that far unless I've stupidly chosen to play the "Who's the smartest?" game with Danny + Paul + Minho (has to be at least 2 of these 3 guys), or when we're around M's friend Chethan. Yup, basically the 1500+ crowd.* Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that not only did the Algorithm kill Jeeves, it now wants your SAT score! And bet your bones that they will re-recalibrate it if you took the test after 1996.


*The story goes that senior year in high school, Chethan was too scared to open his SAT envelope because he was so nervous about his score. He peeked inside and saw his percentiles, but couldn't bring himself to open the envelope. Anyway, he ended up asking Minho to do it for him instead, and turns out he got a perfect score or something very near perfect. He's now making millions shaking up this world and that world. What a jerk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sophia Ott said...

SAT scores? That is down right sick and demented. Still, I did pass along your resume and apps and they were resubmitted by a google insider. :) Cheers to you, smarty (and fashionable) pants!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Minho said...

Not exactly the right story with Chethan - I didn't open it for him. I had already opened mine, saw what my score and percentiles were, and since Chethan had been able to see his percentiles, I knew he had rocked it. He opened it himself in private to see that 1600.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home