Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Conservative Me

No, this entry is not about politics, everyone's favorite subject. It's actually about clothes, MY favorite subject! So the other day my boss called me into her office and told me, with much regret 'cuz she's nice like that, that I was not dressed appropriately for work, and that a number of people had complained about my dressing habits to her. I was horrified. I felt so ashamed! PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT MY CLOTHES! I also felt a little confused, as she explained the dress code by saying, "Just don't wear things you would wear out to a club to work." Now most of you know that the M1nhose and I don't frequent any clubs or go "out" for that matter. What was worse was that I thought I was wearing a very conservative and work-appropriate outfit: My black Docs, a black pencil skirt that was not tight or short, and my black turtleneck sweater with the shoulders cut out. With some time now to reflect, I see how that my outfit was not as conservative as I had thought. For one, Docs are kind of... punky and industrial. I work at a financial firm that is the most old fartish of its kind, where all the partners look like they stepped out of a Brooks Br0thers ad, and all the other admins wear straight BR.* Docs are thus a little out of line. Also, my turtleneck had skin showing in an inappropriate place. Of course, that's why I like it--its so whimsical and funny and soft. But hey, I can see how its a bit subversive. I see that I am dressed differently than others, and see how my style can be interpreted as inappropriate. After my shame left me, I decided that I would go shopping for some plain black pants, a plain cream sweater and a pair of leather black flats. I would be professional and raid the holiday sales for those items.

Unfortunately, because it is the holidays, now is so not the time for a shopping spree! I have found a few things at home that work, though, and today I am wearing a pair of black suit slacks from Banana, a black short-sleeved turtleneck, shoulders intact, also from Banana, and a pair of kitten-heel black pointy-toe shoes that I bought for my interview. No sexy Louboutins or too-tall platforms paired with skinny pants. Just plain, very professional-looking and conservative. And can I tell you? I LOVE IT! No getting up and fixing my top to make sure it covers my bum. No messing with my pants to make sure that they're not too scrunchy looking (sadly, my favorite part of skinny pants--the illusion of tallness that is), no almost falling over every time I get up because of my heels. No having to grip the railing every time I climb the many stairs here. No aching feet after work (at least I hope--its my first day). It's awesome! AND, it does make me feel much more CONFIDENT and professional. Yay! Go conservative me!**

BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE ADMIN HOLIDAY DINNER in the city! I will be bringing sexy back (via my ASHLEY 0LSEN look [my current style icon, who I actually believe is turning into the next great American style icon a la Jackie Kennedy]) with tall tall shoes, skinny skinny pants (actually my new stirrup leggings with the heel and toes cut out a la S/S '07 Marni), my Row shirt, oversized scarf and wannabe Row blazer (my Banana suit blazer with the sleeves rolled up)!!! WHOOOH!


*There was a partner one day who wore a Burberry vest w/a Burberry polo tipped w/Burberry check; it was horrendous.
**This of course is a reference to "Magical Me" by Gilderoy Lockhart.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE your style and constantly inspired by it and don't think it's at all anywhere near "clubby" but i can see how "they" might think so. in any case, i have loads of professional/boring clothes if you want to borrow some before you go shopping again. sweater sets from mummy that just scream ann taylor. also i would love to shop with you sometime, get me out of my more boring styles. love you!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scandalous miriam..

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home